Monday, April 7, 2014

My Writing Process Blog Hop

Hi,

over on my other blog, I'm still posting daily random thoughts for the A-Z Blogging Challenge. Feel free to check them out. Also, today's the day where I'M giving away some more of my novels and a gardening tip for the "Authors in Bloom" blog hop (the main price for those who visit ALL the hop's websites and comment is a Kindle Fire or Nook plus $25 gift card).

I have been nominated for the "My Writing Process Blog Hop" by Murielle Bollen, a Belgian living in Canada, who posted her own answers to the questions below on her blog on the 3rd of April (the first day of my kids' Easter holidays. I'm really surprised that I get any work done...). Check them out. She's a lovely person.

Now, for the questions.

1) What am I working on?
Oh dear, that takes a while to answer.

First, I'm in the process of preparing five mini-short stories (character studies for my latest novel) for publication in an anthology. I'm planning on giving them away for free as an introduction to my book "Swordplay".

Second, I'm setting up my first ever Kickstarter campaign (I still need people willing to spread the word in May). I translated the award winning graphic novel reMIND by talented author/artist Jason Brubaker and want to bring it out in print in Germany. The book will be awesome but I need help with the funding -- therefore, Kickstarter.

Third, on July 4th (if all goes as planned), my publishing company The Independent Bookworm will publish the first book that's not by me. It's the first volume of an epic fantasy tale by the highly talented author William L. Hahn. I read and loved several of his other books and was able to convince him to trust me with this series.

And last, I'm in the process of translating all the short stories and novels I wrote last year so I can keep publishing my own stuff soon.

2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I don't know. Maybe it's the European influence (I'm German after all). Maybe it's my degree in forestry and my interest in all things science. Or mabye it's just the fact that my mind is crazy and throws really surprising characters and plot twists my way. I invite you to find out for yourself. Just check out my page on Amazon and pick up one of my books.

3) Why do I write what I do?

Easy: because I cannot Not write. The people and worlds I write about swim through my mind and want me to tell the world about them. I'd go crazy if I couldn't. I only write the kind of novel I'd like to read myself, hoping that there are more people out there as crazy as I am.
 
4) How does my writing process work?

Back before I took Holly Lisle's courses, I'd sit down and wait for the Muse, hoping she'd show up. These days, I plan my novels with the tools Holly provided, sit down and write -- and my Muse has learned to come when called. As soon as I finish writing the first draft of a project, I set it aside and start translating the last project. Then, I'll do revision on this one while planning and outlining the next one. That way, I'm always running two things parallel (revision and planning, writing first draft and revision, translating and planning). It works well for me.

Fine, those are my answers. Now, I get to nominate three authors I like who will have to post their answers on April 14th on their blogs. I nominate:

Will Hahn insists he's a chronicler, of heroic and epic fantasy set in the Lands of Hope,
Peter Cruikshank asks, "It is what it is?"
Delle Jacobs is fighting her scatterbrain-iness while working on several projects at once -- oh, a squirrel...


Check them out next week, and thanks for putting up with me,
Cat

No comments: