Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Struggling with the cover

Hi,

I'm loathe to say it, but the picture I chose as the background for Swordplay (see last post) is crap. I'm not talking about the composition. It's exactly what I envisioned when I started looking for a picture like that. I'm talking about the quality of the vector-file I downloaded.

The background and some of the swirls are well rendered and clear at any size. Others appear pixelated when I scale the picture to the size I will need. I'm extremely annoyed. It would have been such a great fit. Sigh...

But all bad things have a good side. When I searched for another picture that might fit, I found THE perfect match for "Urchin King", a novel I will re-release on August 31st. (Why re-release? The book has been doing well and received some nice reviews, but it didn't have chapter marks or a table of content that you can navigate with the new Kindles. Also, I finished translating and polishing the German version which I will publish End of August too. So I decided to roll both into one release.)

I know I'm annoyed about the picture but I'm also delighted by the one I found (I'll do a cover reveal soon). Has something similar happened to you too? Have you been able to see the good in the bad?

Have a great day,
Cat

No comments: