Thursday, August 1, 2013

Back with a Bang

Hi,

I'm back from my holiday, as brown as I used to be as a kid, and with the beginnings of a fantasy murder mystery series in my pocket. Despite the glaring sun, I also managed to proof-read the German version of "Urchin King" which I will publish soon(ish). I'm still sweating... ;-)

When I worked through the 350odd eMails waiting for me upon my return, I got a big surprise -- one I'm still celebrating (even if nothing comes of it). An agent who's usually closed to submissions except by referral saw my first page on a competition (I entered it for the feedback) and requested some material. I sincerely hope the agent likes the story well enough to ask for more.

Still, even if the agent doesn't request more, I'm happy. Somehow the fact alone feels like a validation of my writing. I will keep on writing and publishing as best I can. AND I hope I will get better with every novel I finish. Now, if only I had more hands and maybe two brains for simultaneously translating what I'm revising. ;-)

I hope you'll all have a great summer,
Cat

7 comments:

Trekelny said...

Such great news, Kat! I can hardly believe- the idea of an agent sending YOU something unsollicited! Sounds like a fantasy tale right from the start. And you're fight- who knows, but this is still a terrific affirmation. I know a bit about the story and it's going to be another great one.

Trekelny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal Collier said...

Yay! It's so great to be validated, eh? It took me several requests before I was finally brave enough to say, "Yup, I'm doing this writing thing, and I'm pretty good at it too." Here's wishing you many future requests!

Katharina Gerlach said...

Thank you both.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Great news, Kat. That is a nice surprise to come across in one's mail! Best of luck with the outcome.

Katharina Gerlach said...

Thank you.

Texanne Kelly said...

I'm very familiar with your work, so I'm not at all surprised that an agent would ask for more!

(Hey, didn't you tell me you didn't get a tan while you were lolling at the seaside and ginning up a new series?) :)TX