Friday, March 8, 2013

Battle at the Harzhorn

Hi,

one of my stories will be published in a Tarot-related anthology by a small German publisher. When I got the Hanging Man as a prompt, I knew exactly what I wanted to use as setting: the Battle at the Harzhorn.

Roughly three years ago, hobby archaeologists with probe heads found a twisted metal shape they took for a medieval candle holder not too far from us. The item in question turned out to be a horse shoe used by Romans. After a while, archaeologists were able to determine that a battle occurred at the Harzhorn, and that it most likely took part in 235 aD as part of Maximinius Thrax big Germania Campaign. This was ground breaking since scientists had assumed Romans never ventured into Germania again in great numbers after Varus’ defeat (9aD).

For more information see my homepage-blog.
I hope you find this just as fascinating as I do. I'm a real history buff these days, although if anyone would have told me when I was in school, I'd have laughed my head off. How about you? Do you like history? Any specific times you prefer over others?

Enjoy the day,
Cat

No comments: