Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year Observations

Hi,

"Goals are dreams with a deadline" (I don't remember who said this, but (s)he was right. Therefore, I began setting goals for myself years ago. In 2012, my main goal was to loose 10kg in weight. It was hard, but I did it. As to writing, I met nearly all my goals there too. I would have liked to do more promotion but didn't manage to get my head around that. I will in 2013)

"Control and freedom. A real golden age in writing for writers." Dean Wesley Smith (see the last line in Authors)

I go with Dean's words. I've never felt so free and positive about my writing as last year. I translated my German backlist, some 350K words in total without breaking a sweat and will continue to write the stories I love. They will be all over the spectrum of fantasy and history but they'll always be YA or Upper MG. That's what defines me (it also means a happy ending for most of my stories ;-) )

So, it's fairly easy to define my goals for next year:
I will try to build my list of subscribers (to this blog and my HP) which means I’ll have to develop a working marketing strategy (I’m currently on it)
I will write a short story of 10-25K each month to publish in bundles of 2 stories when I run out of novels.
I will finish writing (only 5 scenes to go) and revising my current WIP, Juma’s Rain.
I will translate the 4 novels I’ve written in English (ca. 230K) words back into German and publish them as well.

I think with these steps, I'll be pretty busy throughout 2013, but I*'m determined to become a real author/publisher and not one of those who quit when sales don't hit their expectations. I'll be around for many more years to come.

How about you? Do you have any goals for 2013? Are they writing related?
Enjoy the next year,

Cat

3 comments:

Michael Offutt, Speculative Fiction Author said...

My goal is to publish more books, to make money, to buy a house, to lose weight, and to buy a car.

But I'm starting it all off with a one-week vacation in Vegas baby!

Katharina Gerlach said...

Enjoy your free time. And remember, as long as you're writing, you can't eat. Crumbs are deadly for the keyboard. ;-)

Kelley Lynn said...

Those are great goals for the New Year! Good luck!