Monday, November 5, 2012

First week of NaNo

Hi,

usually, it takes me quite a while to start a new project, but not this time. On the 31st of October, I re-read what I had written last NaNo, and on the first day of November I dove right back in. It is a glorious feeling to be writing new fiction and not translating my older stories (although I still love them). I wrote slightly more than 8000 words (coming up to 25% of the novel!) since the first, and there was no hesitation. If it hadn't been for my family, I would have gone on and on and on.

Have you ever experienced the elation of doing something you haven't done for quite a while but that you just love doing?
Enjoy your life,
Cat

P.S.: For those who don't know what a NaNo is, it's an abbreviation of National Novel Writing Month. During November, novelists from all over the world try to write 50,000 words of their novel in 30 days. That amounts to 1,667 words every day or ca. 2,500 words if you take weekends off. That's a lot of words, but doable.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Varadan aka Mrs. Seraphina said...

I just dove into NaNo for the first time, but already I'm behind. I am starting a sequel to a book I just finished, so I really want to write it, but it's a bit hard for me to keep up with the word count. I'm thinking of just using it as inspiration to plug ahead and write something each day on it with the goal of finishing the draft end of November. (It isn't going to be 50,000 words.) Good luck with your own project.

Katharina Gerlach said...

you don't have to win, but every word you manage to get out is one you don't need to write in December or January. The first time I participated, I struggled so much, I had to write three thousans words on the last day. I was only able to do it because my husband took the kids out.