Monday, September 3, 2012

GUTGAA - Meet and Greet

Hi,

Deana BarnhartGUTGAA (gearing up to get an agent) is a blog-event where authors can pitch to agents and small publishers. It's also a great way to get to know more authors in my field (which is why I'm participating). I've been asked to answer the following question. I hope you'll like the answers.

Where do you write?
I've got a tiny room (1.6m x 2,0m) with a desk, two hang-up shelves, and 5 bookcases (not for books, they are in my attic because you can't fit 2000 books in a room that size and still have enough room to write).

Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see?
Chaos (no, not the Greek God, but pure creative chaos -- the kind I need when writing. Once a project is over, I clear up and start a new chaos aka project)

Favorite time to write?
Mornings, when the kids are in school

Drink of choice while writing?
Tap water.

When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?
 Silence. It's hard to concentrate on new words when there are too many noises. That'S why I'm glad the kids are going to school in the mornings, not the afternoons. ;-)

What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it?
I supported a kickstarter campaign for an editor turned small publisher (Stacy Whitman) who wanted to further speculative stories with multi-cultural background. Just before she reached her goal, I was assaulted by a story idea about a young woman in a Stone-Age-like African fantasy setting. Things went crazy from there (as always, see comment above about chaos). I already wrote half the story, but need to finish it during NaNoWriMo this year and polish it after x-mas.

What's your most valuable writing tip?
BIC = But In Chair (sit down and write, quit whining about wanting to write. You'll never learn/improve if you don't write, no matter how many courses you take or how many "How To" books you read)

I hope you liked the answers,
Cat

26 comments:

Jambo said...

Hi Kat
Thanks for visiting When I Grow Up I Wanna Write A Kids Book and for your feedback from Write On Con.

I love your query so best of luck.

Cheers Julie

Cat said...

Thanks Julie, and welcome yourself.

Carrie-Anne said...

I love your story's setting! I'd love to write something prehistoric someday.

Cat said...

Me too but the research will be extensive so I postponed it for the moment. Welcome.

Michelle 4 Laughs said...

Hi, Cat. I do speculative fiction myself at the YA level. I love your blog header. Very cool.

janealfalor said...

It is really hard to concentrate when kids are being noise. The idea of your story sounds really interesting. Good luck with it!

Alleged Author said...

I would definitely love to see more multi-cultural novels out there. My students keep asking for them! I'm your newest follower. Very nice to meet you!

AA
http://anallegedauthor.blogspot.com/

Kelley Lynn said...

BIC. LOVE that. I'm writing that on a Post-It. :)

So nice to meet you!

Jeannette said...

Good luck with GUTGAA! I like your writerly advice... I have a hard time peeling my butt off my chair, so I have quite the opposite problem. Any tips for that? :) See you around GUTGAA!

Cat said...

Welcome all, and thats for the friendly words. I'm looking forward to getting to know more of you over the next few days.

Angie Sandro said...

I agree that more multicultural books are needed, and I love you idea.

Jess Schira said...

I admire you for tackling a multicultural book. I think the world needs more. Good luck and it's great meeting you!

A.J. Locke said...

Wow, your book sounds extremely interesting!

Marian Librarian said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love the idea of a Fantasy in an African setting. There need to be more African inspired stories in the market. Recently I've read Akata Witch, which is also set in Africa, and I was so excited about a book mining that unique setting.

Good luck.

Cat said...

Welcome to my blog. I'll check out Akata Witch. It sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip.

J. A. Bennett said...

Love the butt in chair thing, great advice :)

http://www.mytalltalefactory.com said...

Nice to meet you! Your premise sounds amazing. Good luck with GUTGAA!

themysteryofwriting.wordpress.com
midwesternfarmgirl.wordpress.com

Stephsco said...

NaNoWriMo is a great way to get some serious wordcount! I might try it again this year now that I know what I'm doing. My first foray I got the words down but it was a trainwreck of a story. :)

Good luck with GUTGAA!
My Meet and Greet Post

Nicole Zoltack said...

BIC is great advice! Nice to meet you - new follower.

Dr. Margaret Aranda said...

Hi Cat! I love your Bio and I visited Johannes-Gutenberg School of Medicine in 2000, to do research! I love Germany! Fine tip on writing ~ just love it~ and so great to meet another Author!

Dr Margaret Aranda
www.drmargaretaranda.blogspot.com
www.girlpowerinamm.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

I'm glad I found you. Nice blog! :)
And I loved your answers. Many sound a lot like what I would say, so that's encouraging.
Very inspirational. Nice to meet you.

Cat said...

Thank you for coming along on my bumpy ride. I hope you'll like it here.

Eileen Rhoadarmer said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I have thousands of books too--I've never actually counted or even guestimated, but we've got five bookcases in the living room (our "library wall," I love it) and more scattered throughout the house. I'll never convert--at least not fully--to an e-reader. I love actual BOOKS. Good luck with GUTGAA!

Donald Capone said...

Nice to meet you Cat. So what's on those bookcases if not books? ;-)

Good luck with GUTGAA!

Jessica L. Foster said...

BIC is great advice. I needed to add to that for myself, cof Computer off facebook.
2000 books is awesome by the way. so is chaos. It really does help with the creativity doesn't it?

Cat said...

@Jessica: Yes, chaos in some areas is essential (but I don't like it overflowing into the rest of my house).

@Donald: writing material (paper, files and folders, my AlphaSmart, printer equipment, a scanner, lots and lots of pens and pencils in a big box, and three toys (made by my kids)

´@Eileen: I love my eRaders because of the convenience but wehen I've got enough time and/or money, I prefer real books.