Sunday, August 26, 2012

Not winning and more about cover design

Hi,

I have been participating in NaNoWriMo for a couple of years and wet to NaNo-Summer-Camp last year and this year in June. Nearly every time, I won. I loved the exhilaration of chasing words and getting the first draft on paper, and I liked the prospect of revision (my favorite part of writing novels). So I took up the challenge again this August, although I'm currently not writing anything new but translating my backlist from German into English.

I thought it would be easy to win because I usually get many words per day out of translating. Wrong. First, I was ill, then my PC was hit by a virus. It took me days to figure out how to get rid of it. Of course, I was frustrated but last night, I had a revelation. I looked at my overall wordcount this year (more than 220 000 words so far with one more 90K novel to translate before November) and realized I had never written so much in a single year. Also, my August NaNo-Camp count isn't too bad either, slightly below 40K with 5 more days to go.

I could still make it if I wanted to. But I'll take it slow instead. I'll enjoy the last few holidays with my kids and see that we have all the necessary books for school. There are some things that are more important than writing, no matter how urgently I need to make a living out of my passion.

That said, I got the preliminary sketch of the cover of my next release (a Fantasy with Scottish setting and loads of mythical creatures from my favorite country). I won't post it here (yet) but I'll make a proper cover reveal when I get the final art some time in September. I'm soooo looking forward to it.

Enjoy the rest of the summer,
Cat

4 comments:

Giora said...

The big win will be when your novels translated to English will do well in English speaking country. I read the first pages of one of your translations (On Amazon Kindle) and you write very well in English, better than me. Not many people can make a living as a writer. For me writing is just an extra activity. Did you write anything about Forestry? Its' a big topic in many countries. Waiting for the new cover.

Cat said...

I love forestry and it influences all my writing. In "Urchin King" there is a scene where the main character is running through a night time forest trying to come to terms with his fear. I loved writing that.

Giora said...

It's nice that you put your love for forests in your novels. Last week I was chatting on Twitter with a woman from Koln about German folklore stories and then I read Hensel and Gretel. Some of the story is in a forest.

Cat said...

Oh yes but it's a kind of forest you don't see any more -- dark, with lots of underbrush and gigantic without any habitation in sight for miles. Germany has become too small for this kind of fairy tale woods.