Sunday, July 22, 2012

Violating copyright without knowing doesn't save you from punishment

Beware!

As another writer found out the hard way, using someone else's pictures on your Blog isn't always a good idea. Since we writers always want to improve our blogs by adding pictures, it's absolutely essential to check out this blog post:

Experiences Roni Loren made using pictures from the net.

Now, I'll go and chcek the pictures on my site to remove everythign I don't have the copyright for, and I suggest you do the same.

Have fun reading your old posts... ;-)
Cat

8 comments:

Gwen Gardner said...

I know I need to do this, Kat. It seems like anything on the internet is up for grabs, but I know it isn't. I haven't read the article yet - I'm going there now. Thanks!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for spreading the word Cat. I've just started hearing about this too and am sharing the link tomorrow on my blog.

Cat said...

I think this is very important. If we want our copyright to be respected, we need to do the same for others.

Giora said...

I put videos from YouTube in my blog. Is that okay? I'm happt to find you, being a German-English author.

Cat said...

I believe, embedding videos from Youtube is ok as long as the video does not violate copyright, but I'm no copyright expert. I put youtube videos on my site too and I will keep them there. The statutes of Youtube explicitly state that the spreading of public videos is allowed, and they provide embedding codes for everyone.

Giora said...

Thanks. I'll keep my YouTube videos. I noticed that if there are any copyrights problems, then YouTube delete the videos on their own.

David P. King said...

Read it. Glad I did to. :)

Cat said...

It's so easy to use someone elses stuff without really noticing that you violate copyright. That's why I pointed to this post.