Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Which one? Help please

Hi,

I am currently converting my historical romance novel "Ann Angel's Freedom" into eBook format. The cover I used for the print books will not do since it doesn't look good enough as thumbnail. Now I made two tile-dummies to see which one I should take. I realized that many historical covers have people on it (although less dressed than on mine). On the other hand, with the first cover, the title is much more visible. What would you say?

Here are the dummies:

Tell me your opinion. If you think I should try something totally different, I'll listen to suggestions. Here are some more information about this story:

Based on facts, the novel tells the story of Ann Angel Waldmann whose father decides to accept their Counts offer to buy their freedom. It is set in the rural area around Osnabrueck at the turn of the 18th century, a time when old values are questioned. In spite of new ideas, individual freedom is a frightening dream for most people. It is a time of change, where Ann Angel Waldmann, daughter of a rich farmer, has to cope with the obstacles life puts in her way. Distracted, she overlooks her growing attraction to the reeve who is in charge of investigating unsettling events in her home.

I really need your help.
Cat

8 comments:

SSBookFanatics said...

Hi Cat. I like both covers, but adore the second one. You are right about the title, though. However, does the title have to be the same colour as the author names? What if the title colour was maroon, like the dress, and then the 'historical romance' bit which is in green, could then be the darker yellow?

Hope I haven't confused you!
Sandra

Sally said...

Hi Cat, I prefer the second one (holding hands) but agree that the title of the book is not visible enough.

If you could keep this picture and make the title easier to see then that could solve the problem. Good luck.

ruthellenparlour.com said...

I prefer the picture on the second one, although it looks a little pixelated and there's a dark line around the arms. Also, I'm assuming you can fix the 'shutterstock' text? I think if you had a shadow or a glow around the text it would stand out better. I could tidy it up on Photoshop if you'd like my help? Just send me a message on twitter if you need me :) @RuthEParlour

Cat said...

Thanks Ruth, The pixelated look and the dark edge is due to the fact that I haven't bought the picture yet. Once I decide to do so, I will get a version without the shutterstock logo that I can clear up much nicher. Thanks for your offer to help, but I'm quite good with Photoshop and enjoy doing it.

ruthellenparlour.com said...

You're welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Linda Adams said...

On the second one, I can barely read the title text. It's not that clear against the image. How does it look in black and white? I have a feeling, it may disappear entirely. But I also think that if you turned it sepia toned and made it old fashioned looking, it might fit the book as described. Sepia might also help the text contrast problem.

Cover #1: It's a house. Doesn't tell me anything at all.

Cat said...

I'm probably prejudiced. The house on the first cover was built just before the novel takes place, and it is still standing. It's a bakehouse. But I think I get your meaning, so I'll start implementing the second cover.

Texanne Kelly said...

Both are pretty. The title over the house shows up better, but it's not clear what the house has to do with Ann Angel. I don't suppose you could photo shop her in, make her sweep the sidewalk?

The girl's apron confuses me--did they have fabric with flowers printed on it during the time of the book? Yah, that's just a nit-picky Virgo talking.

If you can find a way to make the title show up, you should use the little girls on the cover.:)