Thursday, March 15, 2012

My first offical review on this blog

Review of the Veiled Rider (Book one: Turning of the Wheel)

BEWARE: This book is not for kids, and not for narrow-minded people.

The novel tells the story of a young man trying to save what family he has. His only help is a demon-god (The Veiled Rider) who might need his help more than the young man needs him. In this first installment of the series, the reader gets to know many interesting characters that will be interesting to follow through the next novels. Most characters (aside from a few minor ones on the side) are well thought out and three dimensional. I especially loved the way the Veiled Rider didn't seem to know what to do with the human he got, and the clueless stumbling of the main character when he realized he couldn't get away from the Veiled Rider no matter where he went.

I found the story well written with captivating characters and a story line interesting enough to keep reading. There were a few rather quiet chapters (especially after the main character recovers from his first adventure) where I would have loved a more prominent hint or two at the bigger conflict. It would have made sense had the main character felt more threatened, maybe watched by unknown deities/daemons or at least an itch about “something not right”. As it is, he seemed blissfully unaware of the problems he was facing until near the end. But maybe that was the author's intention. It was definitely nothing that hindered my reading pleasure.

The only (minor) drawback I had were some missing explanations. A few events and their backgrounds could have used a little more explaining (the mother’s secret visitor for example). For the reader, some things were difficult to understand because the main character didn't explain, and neither did anyone else. But this was a minor point and one that'll surely be alleviated in the next books of the series.
I'm looking forward to the sequels.

You should really check this out. It's available on Amazon for only $0.99.

Enjoy the day,
Cat

5 comments:

T. Z. Wallace said...

I appreciate the style of your review. It is honest but not snarky. So many reviewers beat down a writer's efforts rather than give an honest evaluation.

Might have to give this one a try!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Well written review, Cat. I like how you pointed out things that bugged you but still focused on what was good. The balance is key I think to this kind of book recommendation and the story is intriguing.

Cat said...

It was fun to write, and I learned some things for myself. I might do some more reviews in the future. I really enjoyed this little exercise.

Peaches Ledwidge said...

A fair review.

Cat said...

Thanks, I'm always trying to be fair (just not to my characters)