Friday, February 17, 2012

tag, I'm it

Hi,

I've been tagged by my fellow campaigner Sophie (visit her blog if you haven't already). Here are my answers to her questions:

1.When did you start writing?
Well, I learned it in school, and a hard lesson it was. My teacher never liked my letters and predicted I'd never get good notes because no one would ever be able to read my handwriting. Of course, I improved, but I'm grateful for the PC. It's so much easier.

As to when my passion for stories started? Possibly in the womb. My granny and my mother were/are passionate readers. From the minute I could read myself, I dug through books. I can't tell you how many I read, but it's many more then the 1500 books I own. I began writing stores as soon as my letters were vaguely recognizable (I still have them somewhere), but only started writing in earnest in 1995.

2. Who are your literary heroes? (/favourite authors)
Astrid Lindgren, Diana Wynne Jones, and Neil Gaiman (for their imagination)

3. What is your favourite fictional character?
Blush - the sandman (the one on German TV, not the character from Neil Gaiman's books, although I like him too)

4. What genre(s) do you write?
Middle Grade and Young Adult fantasy, often (but not always) with a historical background.

5. What is your favourite book, tv show and film?
Are you kidding? I've got too many favorite books to list them here, but no TV shows, and only one film "Drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel" (the Czech variant of Cinderella which has been translated into English too as far as I know but is probably hidden in some obscure treasure chest)

6. What is your favourite place you've visited in the world?
There is a spring near the bottom of a hill in Dunkeld, Scotland. The water is icy and delicious. It's surrounded by ferns, and the path up the hill is steep. I spend one of the loveliest days of my life up there.

7. What is your favourite music?
Hayden and Mozart

8. Have you ever written fanfic?/Opinions on it?
Nope, but I read it, and am often stunned at some fan fic writers eloquence. It's quite hard to enter another writer's world and do it justice.

9. Where is your favourite place to write?
In my office. It's tiny, (1.6mx2m) but I got it all to myself. No kids allowed!

10. Tea or Coffee?
Hot chocolate, milk, or plain water for me, thank you.

11. Have you ever taken part in NaNoWriMo?/ Opinions on it?
I've done it 4 times and won every time. It's not for everybody, but those that thrive when working under pressure will find it fun.

So, that was me. How about you? Here are my questions:
1. How many books have you read (roughly)?
2. Do you think reading is important? Please explain your answer.
3. What are your favorite genres to read/write?
4. Do you like libraries?
5. Do you remember your first book?
6. If you were stranded on an island in the sun, which book would you like to have with you?
7. What are your hobbies beside reading/writing?
8. What's your favorite actor/actress?
9. What do you think about Independent Publishing (self pubed eBooks)?
10. What would you do if there were no PC?
11. In which historical time would you want to be stuck?

And I'm tagging:
David Powers King
Mariekeyn
Shelly

6 comments:

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

Ooo, the idea of an office all to myself is too good to wish for ;) And no kids allowed? Heaven.

Thanks for the tag! :)

Cat said...

It is, but I have to enforce the "No Kids" rule or they'd simply ignore it. My pens are always so much nicer then theirs (they think) although I buy them at the same shop. ;-)

Sher A. Hart said...

Hey, Cat. Yea for chocolate in any form. I wish I had kids still young enough to read what I write, but oh well. I went to school and tested my book on a class of 7th graders. Adults are so much harder to please. Yeah, it's hard to keep up with anything else when you're writing. I've got to get back to my MG fantasy, rewriting in first person to satisfy the adults. Thanks for visiting my blog!

sophs said...

Awesome, thanks for answering! Great answers! :) x

Cat said...

@Sher A. Heart: My kids can't read most of my stories because they can't read English yet. But I'm sure they will given time.

Christopher S. Ledbetter said...

I loved this. I'm stopping by from the Platform Campaign. Cheers.