Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ideal Reader and Goodreads

Hi,

I've been blogging and working in forums, joined twitter, took part in a blog campaign and more, and I met a ton of interesting, big-hearted, all-around-lovely people out there. Most of them are writers (like me). It feels good to connect with them. When I'm sitting here, writing day in day out, I don't have anyone who really understands what I'm doing. So it's great to have friends who can relate.

But what if I'm looking for readers? Sure, most writers read. Without it we'd never get a decent idea for our novels, but are my followers the kind of reader who'd enjoy my books? My stories are always a little weird, and they're always aimed at juvenile readers (and those grown-ups who still love the genre).

I love to smuggle little tidbits of real world information into my novels. For example, I wrote a Science Fiction (which I'll be translating into English in Summer), where I explained wormhole travel in a simplified, easy to understand way. I'm currently translating a novel in an Arabian-Nights setting, where I researched Arabic phrases to include them. I'm pondering s short story that wants to be written, which will include facts about a Roman battlefield from 340-something AD they found a few miles south from where I live. When I read novels myself, I love finding hidden nuggets like these -- and I even if I don't get them, I still want to enjoy the story.

I write stories where the bad guy isn't completely bad, because that's the way the world is. Every antagonist (that's what writers call the main bad guy) in my books has something that makes me like them despite the crap they put my main character through.

In my stories, not only the main character grows. Many of the cast change throughout the story, they learn and grow -- because that's the way the world works.

I love exotic settings, but somehow I rarely write classical fantasy. I do include many fantasy (or sometimes SciFi) elements but always ground my stories in worlds similar to ours.

I love to use history or nature as a springboard for my stories, and sometimes, I have nearly as much material about the time period I'm writing about as I've got for my characters.http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

If any of this is what you're looking for in an author, you're probably my Ideal Reader. If you are, you'll find all the stories and novels I've published so far (even some of the German ones) on my Goodreads profile. Feel free to become my friend there or join my mailing list.

Now, how about you? Have you ever thought about your Ideal Reader or (in case of a reader) your Ideal Author?

2 comments:

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I'm looking forward to your Arabian Nights story.

Cat said...

Thank you.