Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012 Goals

Hi,

The New Year is approaching fast, only a few hours left, and I need to get clear on my goals. I read a blog post by Jeff Ambrose today and was stunned by his numbers. He plans to write 600,000 words next year!

I write 500 words an hour on average, and I work from 8am. to 1pm. Monday to Friday. Still, I couldn't make those numbers. First, he didn't schedule time for revision – my novels need revision, plenty of it. That would half my writing time easily. Next, he didn't take into account all the time Indies need to promote their published novels (blog posts, twitter interaction, trying to connect with readers) which also takes away from my writing time. My tax papers alone will eat up at least one week of writing.
So I sat down and calculated the number of words I could write in an average year taking into consideration the need to let people know my books exist, the time my kids need from me, administrative duties, walks with the dog, and everything else that comes up for me to handle. The result still surprised me. In an average year, I should be able to write 250,000 words!

After digesting this number, I decided to put this to the test. I've got 4 novels finished in German with roughly 295,000 words. They don't need more revision, only translation. So my goal is to translate as many of the novels my agent thought good enough for publication but couldn't place here in Germany. I already finished half of "Amadi, the Phoenix, the Sphinx, and the Djin" (ca. 35K). When that's done, I'll tackle the other novels. Also, I want to finish my African themed YA Work in Progress and the revision of "Chasing the Grimm Reaper" before March.

If I manage to finish translating them all by the end of the year despite my other commitments, I will email Jeff Ambrose and eat crow. I wouldn't mind at all because that would give me six novels to publish before 2012 is out. I'm skeptical to say the least, but I'll try my best to do it.

What are your goals?
Cat

4 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

Those are huge numbers. I hope you accomplish everything you'd like in the New Year.

Cat said...

Thanks. I'll try my best.

Elizabeth Varadan aka Mrs. Seraphina said...

Six novels to publish in one year. That's impressive. I like your go-getter attitude. And the titles sound intriguing. Good luck with your goals.

My goals are a little smaller in scale. I have two books I want to have published (out on submission at present) and I'm in the middle of a re-write of a middle grade novel, and have two finished rewrites that I'm starting to market. Wish me luck!

Cat said...

I do. All the luck in the world.