Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thankful For... Little Dott

Hi,

today, I'm taking part in a contest by Beth Revis (yes, that Beth Revis). She is giving away 19! books -- and I'm not only a bookworm (Independent to be precise) but also a book-pack-rat. I've got nearly 2000 books on long shelves in my attic, half of them are in English. I'd love to win those books.

For obvious reasons (I read my way through 3 libraries as a kid), it's hard to pick a favorite. There are so many I loved, and you probably won't have heard about half of them. But when I sat down to think about it, I realized it had to be "Die wunderbaren Fahrten und Abenteuer der kleinen Dott" by Tamara Ramsay.

In a magical night, willful Dott disobeys her parents and follows them for a dance around the bonfire. She leaves her younger siblings unattended although one is ill. When they show up at the fire looking for their parents and Dott, she wants to confess but everybody ignores her. She finds out that a magical flower fell into her shoes and made invisible to all she loves. As compensation, she understands the language of animals who tell her to look for the goddess (I forgot her name) who might be able to help. She makes many friends on the way (mostly animals), discovers ancient times (through dreams and/or time travel), visits many of the most beautiful cities and landscapes in Northern Germany, and learns a lot about animals and their way of life. When she finally returns home, she has changed from a self centered girl into a caring, open minded young woman.

I adore this book and re-read it on a regular basis. Not only does it depict some of my favorite spots in a part of Germany that's not half as well known abroad as Bavaria, it also teaches many things without being preachy about it. I love the way, Tamara Ramsay interweaves story, history, and science into a magical tale. I know how the book ends, I can see her friend the boy playing his violin happily after he broke his curse, but I still get lost in the pages and discover new things with every read. This is exactly the kind of book I want to write. Entertaining, emotional, and educational -- but never boring.

Do you have a favorite book like this? Why don't you participate in this contest too? No, don't I want to win all the books!!!

Have a nice day,
Cat

6 comments:

Michael Offutt said...

19 books is a HUGE give-a-way. Best of luck in snagging some. Beth Revis is such an inspiration and such a great writer.

Cat said...

Even if I don't win some, I'm happily remembering some really great books I read. It turned out that this little exercise was a huge well of inspiration for me.

Elizabeth Varadan aka Mrs. Seraphina said...

I was fascinated by the favorite book you shared on your blog, though. I would love to read it, but I don't speak or read German. Has it been translated into English? If so, what is the title? Good luck on winning the books!

Cat said...

I don't think it's been translated (unfortunately). But soon (early next year), you can buy my historical novel "Ann Angel's Freedom" as an eBook. It shows life in the 19th century in Northern Germany (no paranormal/fantasy element though). ;-)

Julie Musil said...

Awww, I've never heard of this book but I can see why you love it.

Cat said...

I'm sure I read many books that no one else has ever heard of even German books. We got many books from our friends in the GDR that none of my classmates had. Some were wonderful (for example the retelling of "The Wizard of Oz" by Alexander Wolkow is even better than the original), others were weird but interesting, and others were plain propaganda (of the kind even a kid would notice and dislike). If you're ok with German, I highly recommend the little Dott.