Monday, November 14, 2011

More for Charity

Hi,

I "stumbled over" an eleven year old boy who taught me how much can be achieved by doing small steps every day persistently. His name was Harry Moseley, and he passed away peacefully in his mother’s arms on Saturday 8 October 2011 at 11.10pm. The most amazing thing about Harry (in case you haven’t heard yet) is that he single handedly raised over £85,000 (that’s roughly 137,000 USD) for brain cancer research by fund-raising and selling hand-made bracelets. Awed by this boy who looked death in the eye but who was determined to enjoy every day, I decided to raise funds for people in need too.

During Rachael Harrie’s Campaign, I had read many really great flash fiction stories, so I came up with the idea to collect them into an anthology. Rachael and I issued the call, an lo and behold, many participants answered. It was a lot of work to sort the stories, streamline the layout, insert the linhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifkshttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif to the author’s blogs, and create as well as publish the eBook, but I finished today. We can now proudly present to you “Campaigner Challenges 2011″.



buy at: Smashwords, Amazon, or Barnes & Noble (link will follow soon)

Please buy a copy and tell as many friends about this as you can. All proceeds will go to "Help Harry Help Others" to fund more research on Brain Cancer.

Go ahead, it's only 1.7ct per story (2.99USD in total).
Read a book, make a difference!
Cat

8 comments:

Mark said...

Aloha Cat,

My gosh, how did you and Rach get this done so FAST... you guys are freakin' amazing!

Both of you, please ask someone to give you a hug from everyone involved in what is such a bittersweet moment.

On one hand, seeing my writing included in this eBook has me as excited as the first time I was published in '03.

On the other hand, it's so sad to hear about the young, courageous lad who recently passed away from a brain tumor.

Hopefully, everyone *will* buy at least one copy, and the money raised will fund a researcher somewhere... the one who makes a major breakthrough...

And, wouldn't that be an awesome legacy for the family of Harry Moseley.

Lorelei said...

First of all, your idea was amazing! This will help out Harry.

Having lost loved ones to cancer--my mother when I was 12--I do understand what it's like. I just lost a brother as well to cancer (however this was from smoking, but still it's sad).

Kudos to you for working hard on this, and even having the idea. I hope a lot of people buy it.

Cat said...

I hope so too. The money we raise will fund a small amount of hope for those who suffer. May Harry never be forgotten.

Claire Hennessy said...

I am so impressed, not only by you coming up with this amazing idea, but also by actually doing it! And so fast too. I am so excited and hope it makes a load of money. I have posted on my blog today and FB, tweeted etc. Thanks Cat and well done :)

Cat said...

It wasn't all that fast. Many people sent their stories well ahead of time. The stuff that kept me busy most of all were the links. ;-)

I do hope it'll make tons of money too.

Deniz Bevan said...

Yay! Thanks for doing this - I'll be blogging about it tomorrow.

Michael Offutt, Expert Critic said...

I love all the great writers I've gotten to connect with online through Rachael's campaign building platform. This is just the latest example of the things people can accomplish by working together. Thanks for spotlighting it.

Cat said...

You're welcome.