Sunday, January 16, 2011

Blog post 101 and a question

Hi,

I should have celebrated my last blog post. It was the 100th, and since I never thought I'd write that many, I really should have noticed. But I didn't. Also, with the end of the year drawing close, there were many more things to take care of. So, when I opened my blog today, to finally get going on my New Year resolution, blogger told me that I would now be writing my 101th blog post. So with that, I welcome (back) all readers near and far. May 2011 be gentle to you.

On New Year's eve, I decided to improve my blog and I spent hours thinking about the how-to. There are many things I'm interested in, but I wasn't too sure if my readers would enjoy the same things. Finally, I realized that I could ask. Stupid of me, really. I have seen other people ask on their blogs but never realized I could do, too. That's the old "control-freak" sneaking up on my again when I thought I had defeated him last year. ;-)

So, here we go. I know that I won't be able to write a blog post every day. As much as I would like to do that, it just can't be done. With the sort of family I have, I can probably manage two or three posts a week - at least that's what I am aiming for. Now, for the subjects:
  1. I have a degree in forestry and a PhD in science. Should I write regularly about a subject of science (biology, ecology, even chemistry, physics or math) if I promise not to make it boring?
  2. Also, I'm a foster mother of two children with handicaps. Anyone interested in how my family copes with that? I've learned some neat little tricks in the last 8 years.
  3. My writing is good enough that I am agented (in German at least). I know the ins and outs of my trade, and I'm really good at plotting. Shall I write about writing?
  4. I have noticed that there are many good blogs and websites "out there" (no, not the universe, the Internet). How about writing reviews of those sites as a sort of road map ("How to find what you're looking for")?

If you would like me to write about something you think I might know anything about, leave me a comment. If you want one of my suggestions, please leave me the numbers in a comment. My plan is to have a structure before the end of the month and schedule some posts that will hopefully interest many readers.

Join me on this journey and please help,
Cat

3 comments:

Texanne said...

Hi, Cat--

101 posts. That's a lot of work--so good for you.

All of your proposed topics sound interesting, for all different reasons.

Science is the basis of everything. It is also something Americans are extremely dumb about. If you blog about that, you will be doing a great public service. I was helping my 11th grader (homeschooled but uses state-approved curriculum) with her "physics" yesterday. It was humiliatingly elementary. There has got to be some way for kids to overcome our lousy school system.

Kids are fascinating, and more and more of them are dealing with challenges these days. No idea why. Ours are more-or-less average, though they do have a few friends with ADHD, etc.

Plotting! I'm no good at that whatsoever, so anything you have to tell me about that, I'll gobble up.

Hmm. This would be helpful--a guide to useful sites. Sounds to me as if we readers win, no matter which way you go.

PS: Have you tried running a note about this on the Forums? Since grad novel closed, we don't visit each others' blogs much.

Cat said...

Good idea. I'll post something on the Forums.

Barbara L said...

I think all of them would be good subjects. I could see there being a lot of people who would find the information on the children of major use.

Congratulations on passing a hundred.