Friday, July 3, 2009

The world's best promotion for any writer

Hi,

have you ever asked yourself what's possibly the best way to promote your books? The answer is simple yet complicated. Any serious writer always also is a reader or (s)he would not be so fascinated by books. So, the best kind of promotion should be the one that turns non-readers into readers.

I have always been a reader and I spend more money on books than I spend on shoes. I read many genres including (but not limited to) mysteries, thrillers, Sci-Fi and Fantasy, YA, MG and non-fiction. Even the occasional picture book can be found in my collection.

But only when I began pursuing my writing career I realized how important reading really is. Why then do we value it so little in our language? An avid reader is often referred to as a book-worm or a book-rat (book-pack-rat if (s)he keeps the books). Why can't we use more cuddly animals in the comparison? A book-squirrel or -fawn would be far more attractive. And "carried away by winged horses" is so much more poetic than "glued to the page".

I believe that we as writers will benefit immensely if we begin to show others (by living it) that reading is a wonderful skill, one that many people in other countries strive for and never will be able to get due to circumstances. Try a reading session at your next barbecue or a "guess the book"-game at your next family reunion. What's more, I'd suggest to stop using dismissive words for those that love to read. Writers need readers, so start promoting any kind of reading with all your heart. In the long run, every writer will benefit from your efforts.

Try not to limit your promotion to your own books but include those you treasured or that you think someone else might enjoy. Reach out to people who just haven't discovered what they would like to read. I have been doing that for a couple of years now and it is great fun. Also, with 1.500 books on varying genres in my attic and a good library in town that isn't too daunting a task.

Remember: If you take the scenic route you get to know the area better,
Cat

No comments: