Sunday, April 19, 2009

Starting a new project

Hi,

after being "idle" for a while (meaning that I cured a really bad cold while trying to keep the house from tumbling down and getting the kids dressed right for school with enough food to get by) I began my next project. The first step, as always, is getting an idea. Well, as any writer can tell you, ideas are the most difficult part of the whole process. Once you sweat out your idea, sitting down for 3-5 month writing thousands of words every day revising them again and again and sending them out to unsuspecting agents and/or publishers is easy as eating cream.

So, if it is so hard to get ideas how do writers do that? It's a big secret and I'm only sharing it because I remember the time before I became a writer. Sitting there, staring at an empty piece of paper with a scented candle mumbling prayers to the Muses and still not receiving anything. Only when I turned to the Internet I found what I was looking for. Could it be that the Muses digitalized themselves and took up residence in Seventh Sanctum? It is a great place to get ideas. You can come up with such breathtaking ideas as:
  • The corrupt cop who is the last of a lost species and who is the inheritor of a mysterious power.
  • The eccentric homeless person who awaits the perfect student.
  • The rare good member of an otherwise irredeemably evil race who is the last of a lost species.
With ideas like these you can't fail. Every agent and publisher is bound to fall to his/her knees begging you to send in your manuscript. Go ahead, play with the generators and write (did I mention that writing is the easy part?). We'll see each other in writer's heaven (the so called publishing world) and you can tell me your experiences.

By the way, thanks to "Pecked by Ducks" for the link.
Have a great time,
Cat

1 comment:

Marina said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Seventh Sanctum is fun, isn't it! Good luck with the cream-eating part of your new project.