Saturday, April 25, 2009

On Dreams Coming True

Hi,

I am working hard on making my dream come true. I want (and I am going) to be an author with books published by medium to bigger sized publishing companies. So, of course, I am very interested when someone who is already there talks about the business. I was very surprised about the financial figures of a NYT-Bestseller. As you can see, if you want to get rich being an author (even a best-selling one) isn't the best way to go.

On the other hand, giving up is not a good option as Toni McGee Causey pointed out in a blogpost (the second half is more interesting for writers although the first bit is great, too. That woman has quite a voice!).

So here I am, slowly assembling the bits and pieces that I need for my next novel. It will be another YA-Fantasy. The setting will be as close to 1001 Arabian Nights as I can make it and the main character will be a girl in a society where girls have little to no respect. So she will have to dress up as a boy at least for part of the book. It's going to be interesting, I think. She will also meet some creatures that belong to the Egyptian mythology (like the Phoenix and the Sphinx) because her adversary will be an Egyptian magician. Let's see how much closer to my dream this project will bring me.

The 1% inspiration is nearly done, so off to the 99% of transpiration...
Cat

No comments: