Saturday, August 9, 2008

you can fly, too

Hi,

I am currently taking a course by Holly Lisle called "Thinking Sideways - survival school for writers". It does help me a lot to concentrate on my writing. It has just started so I can't tell you much about it, yet, but I found a wonderful posting in the forum. It is by a woman called driftsmoke who lives somewhere in Texas. Here it is:

Anyway, the point of all this is (right on top of my head, see? Laughing ) that it's what you make of it. You love Texas and you feel like you've found your niche, so it's not a negative place. It's where you belong. (I'll tell you it's nice to see someone from "away" not complaining.) Texas is what it is, and that is part of what's cool about it, I think. I call it home because not only is it the only home I've ever known, but also because I wouldn't rather be anywhere else. I'll take it warts (i.e, heat, humidity, crazy rednecks, long drives, insane traffic, flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, snakes, mosquitos) and all. These endless two lane highways and lonely stretches claim my heart and soul.

IME (in my experience), the writing is the same thing. It's what you make of it. I've found, personally, that I have to go to the writing--to take it warts and all. I'm not going to go into my little office and find a cup of steaming java and my favorite music waiting for me. I've got to open my mind, breathe in my muse, and start typing. And it feels so good once I start. It is another world, one where I set the rules and create the characters. That alone makes it my niche. I make it or break it; I do it or don't do it--every day. I treat it more like a job than the one I get paid to do because the writing is the job that saves me from myself, poverty of the soul, whatever you want to call it. When I'm writing, I am all I ever wanted to be. And that's enough.

Sometimes stepping into that thousand foot drop is the best thing you can do. You might just fly, you know?

Enjoy the day, it's so nice out there,
Cat

No comments: